I love cookies, all kinds of cookies, but I must admit these are at the top of my list. The hint of lemon in the soft, butter cookies enhances the raspberry filling. Buy the most luxurious brand of raspberry jam you can.
1-1/4 cups cake flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla sugar
zest of 1 lemon
6 oz. butter
1 small egg (or beat one large egg in a small cup and use 2 tablespoons of the beaten egg)
For the filling:
juice of one lemon
To finish:Dust with confectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl.
2. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter.
3. Add the egg and quickly knead together to combine.
4. Roll the dough into a cylinder and fit into a cookie press.
5. Press out the cookies onto a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. The cookies should still be pale.
6. Remove the cookies onto a rack and allow to cool.
7. Mix together the lemon juice and the confectioner’s sugar to make a the icing.
8. When the cookies are cool, spread some raspberry jam on the bottom of one cookie and place another cookie on top.
9. Brush with the icing and serve.